Thursday, November 25, 2010

If I were purple......

I sometimes wonder if I were... let's say... purple - not a pastel, lavender, violet or plum, but the original colour wheel plan simple purple - if that Jewish lady from the Synagogue I visited would have looked and talked at me like I was an alien from another planet that had no command nor comprehension of the English language. I wonder if she would have singled me out from my Canadian classmates, or would have just let her eyes pass over me, lost in a sea of pink muffs, green and yellow and blue coats, and a host of multi-coloured hats ...

If my hair were hmmm ... let's give it a neon purple ... If my hair was neon purple, and fell the way sand falls through your fingers, and shimmered like a starlit sea, and if it felt like breeze pushing you on a windy day, would some people still stop, stare and touch? Would they still want to run their fingers through my hair, like when I had it straightened; or would they want to crunch it up in their hands, like when i have it natural, and like both times, still ask me, "Is this real?" ... I wonder ....

Let's say my eyes were also purple... not contact lens cat eye purple, but just purple, would people wearing Africa around their necks, and cloaked in colours of Africa, still look into my eyes when I shared my philosophies and opinions, or would they see past my purple skin and really listen to what I say, or is it that because I'm really some shade of black or brown, it makes me easier to listen to ... are they really listening to me because of this colour, or because I'm making damn good sense? Do you think they'd see pass the purple?




I sometimes wonder, if we were colours, if we'd all subscribe to one kaliedescope called the Rainbow, or would we do now, as we've done, and divide into different colours - red, greens, yellows, and then maybe each colour would further sub-divide ... and maybe, just maybe, for some self-constructed reason, the violets may think themselves more important than the lavenders..... I wonder ....

3 comments:

  1. Would we subdivide? I believe so. There seems to be desire within the human (or most) to control, to feel important. If we were all one colour, one shade without difference in texture, feel of our skin, we'd find 'something' with which to trap ourselves and other. We'd find something to raise ourselves. We'd find some way to make hiearchy...once our mentality remained the same.

    Would reacions be different? It is easier to listen to the man who has fet the same pain, or rather who you believe has felt the same pain. Our colour is our right to weight in with our opinions. But it should also be remembered that the colour of the skin is not always the colour of the mind (if one is to believe society).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Shaziane .. totally feel you on that one... it's sad but so true ... this need to divide ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is real deep Z! I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete